Sunday, July 26, 2009

Humbled.

I didn't have a problem with reading until my summer American History class started. -_- Our textbook is a 600-pg nonfiction book, which retells American history from the bottom up (poor to rich). I mean, it's interesting and all, and I definitely learned more about living in America in the old times than I would have if I'd taken any other history class... but it's a lot to stomach in a month-long class. It's not too bad; we just have to read 150 pages a week. The thing is, we can't just skim the book; we have to totally absorb each and every little detail and nugget of information because anything in the book can be tested.

I have a book report due tomorrow, which isn't too bad. What sucked was having to read The Grapes of Wrath ... all 600+ pages... in one weekend. lol. I mean, I probably should have started earlier, but I was too busy reading my textbook. The book honestly wasn't bad. It definitely left me humbled by the plights of the migrant families in the story. Like, they can't get anything but fried dough to eat, and meat is a luxury to them. It's like, I'm reading this and I'm snacking on yummies at the same time. lol. Reading about their hunger makes me hungry at the same time. -_-

0 comments: